There are only two weeks of my time in Vancouver left and if the past weeks are any indication, these will go fast. For now, here are 5 things:
1. The Hobbit. Yeesssss precioussssss. It is coming and with a lot of the original LOR characters plus Martin Freeman… I love Martin Freeman and his brilliant choice of roles (Arthur Dent and Dr. Watson are two favs).
2. Neverland. I spent months looking for interesting cabarets or burlesque or Steampunk in Vancouver. And, all this time there was a burlesque theatre troop right under my nose. Too bad most of their shows are on Saturdays. Same with Steampunk… nothing Steampunk seems to happen on a weekday.
4. Predator Watch. Before the Olympics, Vancouver launched a predator watch campaign. I haven’t seen any of the ads until now, but they are a brilliant bit of Photoshop work that my photo doesn’t come close to showing.
5. Maple Butter Pizza. I LOVE this recipe. It’s easy to make and very very tasty. I’ve listed the original ingredients below with alternatives for gluten, corn and cow dairy allergies. I’m not sure how it would work with vegan or low cholesterol substitutes.
Maple Butter Pizza
- 3 tbsp butter (or Earth Balance, which is dairy, wheat, corn and chemical free)
- 3 tbsp granulated maple sugar
- 2-oz ball prepared pizza dough (we use JudyG’s Gluten-free Pizza crusts)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or goat mozzerella)
- 12 oz bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8-oz ball of fresh mozzarella sliced (or unripened goat cheese)
1. Heat the oven to 500F and coat a baking sheet.
2. In a small bowl, mix the butter and maple sugar.
3. Roll out the pizza dough and put it on the cooking sheet.
4. Sprinkle grated mozzarella evenly over the dough.
5. Add the bacon evenly over the pizza.
6. Arrange slices of mozzarella or goat cheese over the bacon.
7. Scoop and dollop the maple sugar mix evenly over the pizza (no need to be perfect)
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes
9. Let the pizza stand for 5-minutes before cutting.